Thursday, November 7, 2013

The One-Eighty

I slept for 13 hours last night.  I took three Ativan before bed just in case, and fell asleep quick.  When I woke up at 10am this morning I felt pretty much great.  I actually got up pretty much right away and got going.  I put in a load of laundry, and went straight down to start sweeping up the leaves out front that have been driving me crazy.  That took me into the garage that needed straightening up before winter.  We store our motorcycles in the shed in the wintertime but it's not time to get them in there yet, so I just cleaned around them.  Then I moved into the back yard and cleaned up the area outside the doggy door.  Two big bags of leaves later and also after having removed a tiny wishbone from the inside of my dog's mouth, I felt pretty darn good.

I ALMOST laid down to take a nap after such vigorous work but then I remembered that I needed to replace the headlight on my car.  That's out.  So I set about doing that.

It was a lot harder than I thought it would be.  The entirety of the instructions were in my car's manual that it came with.  I had to unscrew like 10 bolts, with nothing but an adjustable wrench, two of which were like 6 inches deep in a place that was pretty close to unreachable and it took FOREVER to get them unscrewed.  I had to actually detach the top part of the grill of the car because if you look at a Chevy Equinox, the logo is on a chrome strip that actually extends across both of the headlight apparatuses (I thought for sure it would be apparati but I'm being told by the red squiggly line that apparati is not a word, but apparatuses is, so we're going with apparatuses).  So I finally got the new headlight in, and I was checking everything to make sure it was all working and I discovered that the fog light on the same side was also out.  For some reason, I did not look at the front of the vehicle PRIOR TO going to the car part store or I would have noticed this.  So I see that this bulb is also out and I had to stand there for awhile considering whether or not I wanted to wait until another day and attempt to remove everything I had already removed, again, and I decided that I did not.  But at this point, the front grill is hanging off the vehicle, and one of the headlight apparatuses is literally out of it's place and I can't drive anywhere.... At which point I realized that I own a second vehicle!  My motorcycle!  Except that I had put laundry into the washer and that included every pair of pants I own.  Literally.  I had NO clean pants, and all the pants I did have were in the washer, wet.  So I put on a pair of cargo capris and rolled them down as far as they would go, put my boots on, got my riding jacket and gloves on and grabbed the helmet and keys and wallet and car manual and went on my way (see?  getting ready to ride the bike is kind of a hassle because putting on the gear takes time).  At the end of the street I almost made a turn so that I didn't have to come to a complete stop, but there was a car coming so I had to stop kind of quick and the bike sort of leaned under me and I moved my legs to steady myself and ended up burning myself on the tailpipe.  Again.  Not nearly as bad as the last time, but it still hurts.  In the same spot too.

So I managed to go get the new fog lamp bulb and make it back home.  It didn't take me that long to replace it, and when I did, I stood back to look and make sure everything was working and I realized that it was a completely different color than the other fog lamp.  So again.  I stood there contemplating whether or not to change out the bulb on the other side simply so that the colors matched, or just leave it.  And so I decided to change out the other bulb so the color would match.  I proceeded to unscrew even the ridiculously difficult screw, and THEN realized that I didn't even need to remove the entire headlight apparatus to replace this particular bulb.  Somehow I missed that on the other side.  Then I replaced the bulb as before.  And all of a sudden all the lights on the front of my car work!  And they match in color!  I put my car back together, and cleaned up and by that time it was like 3:30.  I needed to go to the bank to get my rent money out and deposit the check I had sitting around from StubHub from selling the extra ticket I had from the Todd Helton retirement game.  So I drove over to my bank by my parents house, and decided to pop over there for a minute too.  I had my dad's circular saw in my car from cleaning out the garage, so I figured I'd return that.  So I stopped and talked to my mom for a few minutes, filled her in on Ethan and the flowers he sent me yesterday (yes!  He SENT me flowers.  That were delivered to my house!).  Then I came home.

I had a full chicken sitting thawed out in my refrigerator from like a week ago when I decided that I wanted to cook it and then didn't, so I decided to cook it.  I invited Ethan to come over and Braden too, and actually roasted some garlic and spread that out underneath the skin.  I cooked it on a bed of onions, carrots and apples.  I covered the inside with garlic salt, fresh ground pepper and basil.  Then I sprinkled the outside with it too.

I let it cook while we all talked and drank wine and the chicken turned out amazing.  A.  Mazing.  We ate and talked and talked and talked.  Braden finally went home and so Ethan and I went up and watched American Horror Story.

Compared to Monday this is a change of 180 degrees.  I haven't had this much energy and motivation in weeks.  WEEKS.  I just kept going and it never really even occurred to me to lie down and try to take a nap.  I feel good because I cleaned and I cooked and I fixed and I did some things that I needed to get done, and it feels really good to have been productive for like a full 12 hours at least.  I can't even remember the last time I got that much done, and it feels great.  I feel like I felt during the summer, or during last winter, and last fall and last summer.  Normal.  Or as close to normal as I know what normal feels like.  It was terrific and I almost don't want it to end.  What if tomorrow isn't as good?

I'm not going to worry about that tomorrow.  I will worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.  Because TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY (thank you, Scarlett O'Hara).

No comments:

Post a Comment