Monday, October 3, 2011

The Beginning of the End

I so want to write about how annoyed I am with my boss this morning.  I realize that when I let her stupidity annoy me, it's just adding unnecessary stress to my life, and that I could totally be a bigger person and just let it all go, but for some reason - maybe it's the fact that I have to be in close proximity to her three out of seven days a week - I can't.

I dread when she comes into the office in the morning.  She's so awkward when she says good morning to me.  I don't know what the quality it is that is so weird, but it just is.  This morning she came back upstairs to add some fabulous old copies of Reader's Digest to our menagerie of reading material here in the lobby.  She felt the need to tell me that her husband's father has gifted them with a subscription to it.  I don't fucking care where the fuck they come from!  I'm not going to read the damn things!

Then, just now, a new tenant who moved in last week called me to tell me she was locked in her office.  For some reason, the lock on the door was sticking and it wasn't unlatching from the inside.  I told her that sometimes the locks stick, but I went up to take a look at it myself and see what was going on.  It was, in fact, sticking, but it wasn't something I could fix.  So I called my boss to let her know that something was wrong with the lock, and her response (as was the response last week when another door wouldn't unlock) was to comment on whether or not the lock had been giving her trouble recently.  I wanted so badly to say, "What difference does it make whether or not it's ever given you trouble before?!  It's not working now!"

I sort of want to start a list of "Stupid Shit My Boss Says," but out of context, it just looks like a bunch of inane sentences that don't look as stupid as they actually are.  I shit you not, though, it would not surprise me to have her come up to me to tell me that her watch stopped working and give me the run down of how she investigated what was wrong with it.  This is the kind of excitement she has in her life.

I hate that I hate my job.  I hate that I dread coming to work each day.  I hate that I don't know ahead of time how my attitude toward my job is going to be until I've been at work a little while.  I hate that I have to interact with stupid people on a daily basis, including the "no thanks, I'll just call back later" people I have to answer the phone for 18,000 times a day.  I thought about dressing up for Halloween, just to throw a wrench in my daily monotony, but then I thought about how dumb it would be to waste an awesome costume on work, when I'm not doing anything else with said costume.  So instead, I'm going to be "A receptionist who likes her job" and just wear what I normally wear.  I'm considering telling my boss what I am when she asks why I didn't dress up.  If I have another job lined up by then...

Perhaps my bad attitude today is the fact that I got just around 3 hours of solid sleep last night.  I could not fall asleep to save my life!  I just kept flipping over from one side to the other, and dozing off just enough to wake up pissed off that I had waken up.  Either way I feel hungover, sick to my stomach and about to fall asleep at any given moment.  I would give just about anything for another day off where I didn't have to feel guilt about not going to class, or about not working for the money I'd be missing because I don't get paid sick days or vacation days. 

In fact, as I am thinking about it now, I am considering requesting a meeting with my boss to let her know how unhappy I am and that I'm looking for a new job.  Some things she could do for me that would get me to stick around for awhile longer are: hire another receptionist so I am not working with Anna anymore, give me a significant raise, and make it so that I get a long enough lunch break to go grab something off Pearl Street and bring it back.  Luckily I have an appointment with a career counselor on campus next week so hopefully that will give me a little more hope that I won't be stuck in a job I hate for the rest of my life.  I'm obviously not super hopeful as of right now.  Coming to work every other day makes me want to shoot myself in the face.  Which is not good.

This might be the only post for the day, which is crappy because I only have today, tomorrow and Wednesday left to write and I was kind of hoping to go out with a bang.  C'est la vie, I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment