Monday, December 20, 2010

456 Years Later

Well fooey.  My poor little niece was up a fair amount of the night because she was having so much trouble breathing.  My sister took her to the ER this morning and she's been admitted.  Hopefully they can get some aggressive medications going for her so that she'll be feeling better soon.  She's got Croup.  Croup is a bacterial infection that plagues the airways of babies and toddlers, because their airways are so tiny, and when they start to swell up in reaction to the bacteria, it just gets progressively worse.  It's all my fault, too, I'm sure of it.  I'm pretty sure I'm the one who brought home the illness in the first place, but I had no idea it would get so bad for her.  The boys are both sick too but they seem to be just fine.  Dagnabbit.  Although, it was interesting to watch the illness spread from me to my sister and to the kids.  It was quick!  So my sister and little S are spending the night at the hospital tonight.

I'm not sure what relieved the tension in the house, the fact that my sister was gone, or the fact that she'd taken the baby to the hospital.  Probably a combination of both.  The boys seem to be less guarded about their behavior, they got to take a nice, long, really fun bath, watch Finding Nemo, and then got lots of bedtime stories.

Tonight is a full lunar eclipse.  It is in alignment with this year's Winter solstice, which hasn't happened since 1554.  I'm pretty tired, but I've been invited to hang out on this new boy's roof and watch the eclipse.  Despite how much I'll probably regret it in the morning, I'm going to go!  But I'm wearing my sweats.

No comments:

Post a Comment