Monday, April 18, 2011

The All-Contagious Bad Mood

Despite my spending so much time sleeping yesterday, I still felt like I hadn't gotten enough sleep when I woke up this morning.  Also, Phoenix was SO cute and snuggly and I really didn't want to leave him!  I'm trying really, really hard to keep my shit together in the face of all the things that are going on around me that might otherwise influence my mood.  For example, when my boss came in today, she was already in the worst mood I have ever seen her in.  I didn't bother asking her why, because she was grumbling about whatever it was that had happened this morning to put her in a terrible mood and I didn't want to make it worse.  However, the first phone call I received for her was someone who, when I asked him to identify himself, he only gave me a first name.  I've found, in this particular industry (that being professional reception services) when people call one of our tenants, they identify themselves with either a first and last name, or a first name and company name, and so it can be terribly frustrating when someone only gives a first name.  However, I don't often question that, as someone might be calling a husband or wife or friend or other relative who works in this building and I feel silly asking for a last name after someone's chosen to identify themselves by first name only.  Unfortunately, Barbara, being in a bad mood, sort of condescendingly told me that in the future I need to get a last name from people calling for her.  I understand her frustration, and she said it in a way that I'm certain was the kindest way she could transmit her frustration at the time, but I still took it personally.  I mean, I know that when I attempt to transfer a call to someone that I need to be prepared to give them as much information as possible, and I suppose that it is, in fact, part of my job description to get that information from each and every caller.  However, after having done this job for nearly six months, I have made myself comfortable with what is expected of me, and sometimes I don't investigate further when I am only given a first name as identification of a caller.  I guess today was the wrong day not to put in the extra effort.

Then, Barbara came up to tell me she was leaving for lunch and we spoke briefly about something and she say that I was playing a game, and listening to something that was playing (which happened to be Russell Brand stand-up), and she looked terribly annoyed.  She knows that I play games and watch TV and movies up here (and ironically that is not one of the things that she has a problem with) (even though the cleaning lady says that she used to tell the girls that worked up here before that they weren't allowed to watch TV or movies up here), and she never says anything, probably because I use one earphone to listen, leaving me able to still talk to people and answer questions and answer the phone, and I will willingly walk away from whatever I'm watching to fulfill my job duties.  But I can just tell that she's super obnoxed today, which makes it that much harder for me to do my job without getting upset with myself for whatever it is she's upset with me for.

Oh, and to make it all more difficult, I don't know where the boundaries are regarding my recent decision not to help with apartment showings.  I would have assumed that it would no longer fall to me to be the person to set up showings on the one apartment that we show by appointment only as I am no longer involved in showing said apartment.  However, Anna approached me today with a list of names and phone numbers of people who'd left messages over the weekend looking for information about this one apartment, and told me that I needed to schedule a showing on the apartment, call the tenants and then return all the messages to tell all the people when we'd be showing it.  I'm not sure if it is just that she doesn't want to have to do it, or if she really thinks I have nothing better to do, but I am perturbed by her asking me to do this.  I am mostly just fine with having to make the phone calls and set the appointment up, because mostly I am bored to tears here at the desk, but the part of me that is not fine with it is the part that remembers that I am responsible for answering incoming phone calls and answering questions and doing things for the tenants in this building first and foremost.  I will not be bringing this up to Barb today, but I will certainly not forget it and I will be asking her about this another time.

I think I am just plain annoyed today at the fact that there appear to be people on this planet who cannot be held responsible for themselves.  What I mean by that, is that apparently not everyone can be counted on to do their jobs themselves, or to clean up after themselves, or behave as an adult.  I made a point of cleaning my bathroom floor yesterday, with the full knowledge that Linda would be in there this morning, and she would inevitably walk out after leaving what seems to be half of the hair from her head on the floor.  Yesterday as I was cleaning, I imagined how I'd react when I saw that she'd done it again, and I imagined myself being  more charitable towards her, and less aggravated because of how often this happens, but nope.  I am just as annoyed as ever.  It didn't help that when I went downstairs, I went to make my PB&J sandwich, and found all the counter tops completely filthy.  She has several water bottles that have been just sitting on the counters since I moved in, and I keep a couple of hand towels in the kitchen to dry my hands (they are there for THAT PURPOSE ONLY) when I don't feel like wasting a couple of paper towels, but when I went to use the one that was out, it was no longer in the location I had left it.  Meredi is much more considerate, and I don't understand what it is about Linda that makes her feel as though she can walk around making messes everywhere and just leaving them.  For crying out loud, that is one of the bigger reasons I had to move out of my parents house after my sister moved in!  Also, Linda is SO awkward.  Just thinking about being stuck in a room with her makes me shudder.

And the best part about today - I was able to get my degree audit from CU, to tell me which classes I've taken and what requirements they each satisfy, and this tells me that I have completed 105 credit hours already!  It takes 120 or more hours to graduate, depending on the person, and after carefully reviewing all the requirements and the classes I've already taken, it may be that I can knock 12 credits out this summer and finish up this fall!  That is the best news I have gotten since my dad paid off my debt.  I obviously need to go and verify that this is correct with my academic adviser, which I plan to do as soon as I pay the enrollment fee, but I have picked out the classes I want to take and as soon as I pay the enrollment fee I can get registered!  I am suddenly having all kinds of crazy fantasies and ideas about what my life will be like once I have actually graduated from college.  I realized that I could apply for grad school almost right away, and there's a possibility that I could move in the next year.  This is a huge development, and a good one at that!  I definitely need to talk with my adviser and see what I need to do, and I would very much like to be able to raise my GPA before I apply to grad school, but that's going to be something that's really difficult to do, so I may have to wait until I get a second degree in IPHY or Criminology before I apply.  We will wait and see what happens.

And somehow it is after 4pm already!  Getting into the school stuff this morning really made the time fly by and I'm thrilled that I get to go home in just a few minutes now!  I miss my dog, and I want to spend more time with him.  I may even take him on a walk off the leash just to test some boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment