Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beginning to Start Over

Today was a pretty decent day.  I went to my first doctor's appointment of the day, which was the lady doc.  After talking with her and explaining to her that I'm miserable and that the Endometriosis symptoms are restricting my life, we decided that the best course of action will be for me to go back on Lupron.  Lupron is a depo shot that will essentially put my body though menopause, stopping my menstruation altogether.  It takes a few months for it to kick in and really do what it's supposed to do, which is suppress the endometrial tissue in the uterus from growing.  I'll have to be on the Lupron for 3-6 months and then after that I will be going back on the continuous birth control.  Interestingly, the doctor sort of justified my opinion that the female reproductive system  will only tolerate being suppressed for so long, and told me that in order to sort of maintain healthy function, I'm going to have to have a couple of periods a year.  But that beats what I'm dealing with right now.

My second appointment was with the occupational health doctor, whom I regaled with my throwing my back out while shaving my legs anecdote.  She wants to release me but I still have to go see the chiropractor/acupuncturist a couple more times.  She gave me the go-ahead to play soccer (oops!), and she said that the chiropractor was right, I'm pretty much symmetrical, which is good.

The third appointment was just a quick blood draw to check my thyroid level to decide whether or not to adjust my hypothyroid meds.  I learned from my lady-doctor's nurse that wacky thyroid levels can mess with menstruation, so it's good that I'm getting everything checked and figured out now.

I washed my sheets and my duvet cover and took out all the garbage in the house, and took a nap.  I really wanted to make it through the day without napping, but then I gave myself a pass because somehow I woke up at 7am before my alarm even went off even though I needed to be up anyway.

Phoenix is staying at my parents house tonight and tomorrow, and they were having pizza for dinner and since I'm broke and foodless I went over there early.  I got there at the same time as my sister's ex-husband was dropping off the kids and the dogs, and it was glorious.  They hopped out of the car going, "BETHIE!" and came and gave me hugs.  Then Z said he wanted to sit on my lap while he ate his pizza.  They're so flipping cute.  I told H to finish his milk, then turned around to get a plastic bag out for the leftovers and I turned around in time to see him pouring it in the sink and then pretending to drink out of the empty cup.  And when he hopped out of the car, he wanted to show everyone that he'd brought his Darth Vadar action figure with him in his pocket (they have a policy not to bring toys between the houses) and he wanted me to fight with the "life savers" (light sabers) with him.

I stayed over there to play with the kids for awhile and now I am home and watching what I anticipate to be my new favorite show, Happy Endings.  It's about pathetic single people in their thirties!  Right up my alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment