Saturday, April 23, 2011

Last Friday Off For Awhile - Fully Enjoyed

I really, really, really want to get into my bed, but I have a few things to jot down first.

I did a load of laundry, and put away the two laundry baskets of clean laundry that have been sitting on my bedroom floor since I moved in.  I did some closet and dresser organizing, and still I don't have enough room for all the clothes in my closet minus the three piles of dirty laundry that are now on my bedroom floor.  However, I felt terribly efficient having gotten all that done today.  I took a brief nap (only 2 hours) and then went over to give my mom a hand with the kids.  My sister was working all day today, so she had all three monkeys all day by herself and I'd already told everyone I'd babysit tonight while my mom picked my dad up from the airport.

Today is Meredi's birthday (28 or 29, I think) and as I am broker than broke, and I have opted not to partake in her birthday celebrations, I made her a cake and it turned out spectacularly!  I made a recipe of a cake that I really like from scratch, called a silver white cake, and frosted it with a fruit dip that's simply cool whip, cream cheese and sugar.  The cake itself is not super heavy, but I'm of the opinion that less can be more in the frosting department, and I wanted to try this combination to see how it worked.  I'm really satisfied.  I may need to play around with the cake a little more to get the high-altitude right, but it's a firm yet moist cake, and the "frosting" is a great consistency for holding the cake together, being firm and not melting (except when using it for decorating and the icing bag gets warm in-hand), but altogether I am quite excited that it turned out as well as it did!  I made a double batch, and made a cake for my family for Easter, which I colored pink, yellow, green, blue and purple and then swirled it.  I made a sheet cake and cut it in half to make a small rectangular layer cake, this being the first time I've been successful in doing it this way.  I started decorating it for Easter, but got really tired and finished after frosting it and laying down some "grass."  Tomorrow at some point I'm going to put some jelly beans on it and make a cute frosting rabbit and maybe a couple of little baskets.  I'll post pictures when it's done.  It's going to be delicious, too.

Oh, so when I got home from work last night, I came into my room to the 5-gallon bucket I had purchased the previous night and then filled with dog food and then put the top on, OPEN, and with half the dog food gone.  I was SO pissed.  I thought I was going to explode with frustration and anger.  I know it was Nali because Rainey isn't tall enough to reach into the bucket, but that doesn't change anything.  I was already pissed because Linda had used my damn hand towel that I leave in the kitchen to dry my hands to clean up coffee or something, and so that really did it for me.  I went to the liquor store and bought a big bottle of wine and a bottle of champagne, and sat at home drinking my wine and watching TV last night, trying to relax.  I felt fine when I woke up this morning, but then I saw that after I had placed the two containers of cool whip in the freezer - which was a chore in itself because the freezer is so damn packed full of shit that I couldn't get them in there, so I had to move a bunch of stuff around - Linda had moved a bunch of stuff back from where I'd put it.

So I left her a note when I left the house today asking her to not clean up messes with my towels and to please take the recycling out because in all the time I've been here, I have not seen her do it once, and it's mostly her trash.  I felt better.

I had a great time with the kids and my mom today.  The boys were extra energetic and the baby is so stinking cute when she's not squawking and screeching at the top of her lungs.  I got video of her showing me where her belly-button is that is beyond adorable.  Z helped me make the cake, but got bored and wanted to go outside to play with his friend that lives a couple houses down.  My mom informed me that earlier in the day he and H had gone to play with the boys that live there, and had been talked into going INTO the creek, in all it's glorious muddiness, and came home caked in mud, to the point that you couldn't tell where their pants ended and their shoes began.  And then when they went to play with the neighbor boys again after naps, my mom explicitly told them both no playing in the creek, but they did it anyway and Z lost a flip-flop and then cried about it.  I went out to help him look for it, but then sent the boys in and when H opened the gate, the wind caught it and whipped it open and smacked Z in the face.  So he's standing there, covered in mud, one flip-flop on, and now crying, and it's blusteringly windy, and I go to pick him up and a big ol' string of his snot hit me square in the face.  I really wasn't sure whether to scream or to laugh because of how strange the situation was, and because I couldn't get the dogs back into the yard, but we all eventually made it inside, the boys got out of their muddy clothes and I was able to wipe the 5 year-old boy snot off of my face.

All in all, it was a good day.  I really didn't have much time to think, and I think those days are the best.  I momentarily got a bit blue in the car on the way back home just now, but forgot it all the moment I walked in the house to find a little tiny dog had been added to our chaos.  I'm guessing she's Meredi's best friend's dog, and her name is Coco Chanel (she smells like No. 5, too which I think is splendid).  Phoenix wasn't sure what to make of her, but she took right to him and started prancing around him like she wanted to play.  She looks like a shih-tzu or something, and I don't normally like dogs like that but she's got a ton of personality and she's really sweet and playful, and how can you not love a dog like that?!  Phoenix and Nali got mad because I was giving Coco more attention than them, but that's okay.  It's quite novel having a tiny dog around when you're so used to enormous and clumsy ones.

I brought the cake home for Meredi and left her a note that it is in the fridge, and I just happened to still be up (writing this stupid post) when she and her friend came home, and I heard them gush about how sweet it was, and how pretty the cake is and how delicious it is.  So I'm pretty satisfied.

Tomorrow's agenda includes another trip to the plasma center, this time with Tiffany, so it will be another long trip, but I have nothing better to do and I'll enjoy getting to sit there with her and chat and be judgmental and everything.  Then I'm spending the night at my parents house so I can be there when the kids wake up in the morning to full Easter baskets and baby-powder bunny footprints all over the house.  It's going to be a really good couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment