Monday, June 6, 2011

From White to Black

This is going to be a quick one because it's damn hot in here (room is upstairs, 2nd floor of house; chemistry and physics dictate that heat rises), I'm tired and I have pretty much finished all the homework I can even do tonight as I returned my Criminology books today for a full refund and won't be getting new ones until tomorrow and Wednesday or Thursday.  So it's going to be tight, although from what I can tell it looks like I won't need the one I only ordered this evening until Thursday night at the latest.  I can probably get by without it for now.

Anyway, it was a pretty good day today.  The only thing of note was that I didn't sleep well last night and I had a little trouble staying awake in class again.

Since I got the cash back from the bookstore, I grabbed Phoenix after work and went straight to the bank, except that only 3 of the 5 lanes were open and there were long lines of cars so I didn't wait.  I went to my parents house, except there was no one there.  I called my parents, and my dad had to pick my mom up from work because they're sharing a vehicle and he had a doctor's appointment today.  I suggested that we get chinese food for dinner - which went over very well - so I went and picked that up.  I ate so much that I can hardly move right now.  There is a ton left over, too, so I'll eat well all week.  I actually even paid for my own food.  Before I left, I needed to get my bike rack on my car, and grab a bike (my choices were my little sister's old one, which is old and too short for me, or my dad's expensive one, which he has never let me borrow for school), so I got my dad's bike out and started detailing it a little.  I washed it off since it was dusty and grungy and covered in cobwebs and all kinds of crap in the deepest corners of the garage.  But just as I was hosing it off, my dad came outside and made a fuss about my not even asking him if I could use it, to which I replied, "Because I knew you'd say no," and I was mostly joking, even though I was planning to take it anyway, but he got all pissed off and said something about how people just do whatever the fuck they want without asking him.  He and my mom were on their way to the store anyway, so he just got in the car and slammed the door shut and they left.  So I finished cleaning the bike, put it on my car, and left, too.  I knew he was pissed because when he's legitimately angry, it doesn't sort of rise up and bubble over, it appears out of nowhere, and that's exactly what happened.  I was in a joking and jovial mood, and he went from the same to instantly enraged.

My justification for taking his expensive bike over my sister's shitty old one is that I am going to be doing some hard-core riding (up The Hill in Boulder and that's painful) and it's going to be 5 days a week from now until August, and he hasn't ridden that bike in years!  He fell off of it and was hurt badly enough that he had to have wrist surgery back in 2004 and hasn't really even touched it since, with the exception of maybe one bike ride a year, and that's not an exaggeration.  I have asked him numerous times over the years if I could use his bike for school and he's always said no, although the only reason he's ever given me is that it's a really expensive bike.  I had my own bike stolen from my backyard when I was living in Boulder in like 2006, and bike theft is rampant in Boulder, so I can completely sympathize with his fear of it being stolen.  However, it will be in my office with me while I'm at work, and then it will be locked up for the 1.5-2.5 hours I'm on campus, then it's straight back home and in the garage.  I know he thinks I'm irresponsible with big, expensive things because of the scratches I've left on my car and his truck over the years, but I've learned from those mistakes and I'm extra careful about taking extremely good care of the vehicle I'm driving now.

Anyway, I'm kind of worked up over the fact that he got so mad so quickly - and why I'm surprised about this is a mystery, because I know his anger well.  I'm worried about going back over there anytime soon, because I'll either get the silent treatment or he'll yell and me and insist that I bring the bike back, and I don't want to have to endure either of those possibilities.  So for now I'll just have to pretend nothing happened and move on with my life because it will eat me alive if I let it.

Oh!  And this is fun.  My older sister was supposed to start her domestic violence classes today, and she's been court-ordered to take the classes for like 18 months, stemming from the DV charge from everything that happened back in August last year.  Apparently, when she went in today, she was also told that she needs to take drug and alcohol classes, too, and with that goes random UA's and breathalyzers to make sure that she's clean, and she absolutely refuses to take part in this racket.  That basically means, "I'll go to jail or have to do community service or anything that doesn't require me to stop drinking like a fish and being high every single second of every single day."  Because that's what she does.  When she doesn't have the kids, she drinks.  A lot.  And even when she does have the kids, she gets high first thing in the morning and continues to toke up all day long.  So she's standing there telling our parents about how stupid this place is, and how they're trying to make her sign her life away and they told her that they could keep her in the program longer than the 18-month court mandate if they feel that she needs to be in the program longer, and blah, blah, blah.  My parents both had looks on their faces that said that they were skeptical that this was all true and that she was probably making a bigger deal out of it than it was, and that they knew they couldn't argue with her over the decision she made.  I stood there looking at them like they were crazy.  This is what she needs!!  She is a mother, first and foremost and if it takes 18 months of drug, alcohol and domestic violence counseling in which she needs to be totally clean, then so be it!!  But she's far too content with her lifestyle to give it up and she would rather face more harsh consequences than have to stop smoking pot 24/7.  I said, "Yeah, because GOD FORBID you have to stay clean for 18 months and be a responsible adult and..." and she cut me off, telling me to shut up.  I knew that if I didn't want to really get into it with her (and I'm talking full-on physical violence style), I had better just keep my mouth shut.  She's unbelievable.  She's going in to see her probation officer tomorrow to tell her that she's not going to do the program, and I'd love to know what the probation officer says.  I want, more than anything, to hear that the officer tells her that it's either the program or jail.  She needs to hear that and she needs to be made aware that she really does have a problem, even if she doesn't think she does. Fucking bitch.

Okay.  I have just drank an entire soda (12oz) and 16oz of water in the last 20 minutes and I feel like I'm about to explode.  I'm going to lie down for a little while, then get ready for bed and watch Conan, who hasn't had a new show in a week and I feel like I'm going into withdrawal.

No comments:

Post a Comment