Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Whine, Bitch, Moan

I'm gonna fucking kill someone today.  It looks like it's going to be one of those wonderfully frustrating days at work where I have to interact with my boss way too much, and yet I get nothing from her.  She might be one of the worst property managers, ever.  She seems to have this attitude that some things are just not her problem, even when they are.  From my experience, being a property manager is a 24/7 job, because the properties being rented out are going to have problems that don't stick to a 9-5 schedule, but she doesn't like to work outside the 9-5 schedule, and she is always telling people to call someone else, instead of being the one to call herself.  She knows next to nothing about the telecommunication technology we use in the building, which in turn prevents me from knowing anything about it, and it makes me look like an idiot when our tenants ask me a question about it and I can't answer it.  And the last time I had a "meeting" with my boss, she told me she doesn't like it when I answer a question with "I don't know," and then don't further investigate to find an answer.  But from my point of view, that's what she does, too.

I feel really panicky today, like I need to do things, or control things, or something, but I simply cannot.  I just had two consecutive dizzy spells that almost made me fall out of my damn chair, which I'm pretty sure are related to my feeling panicky.

So, in the property management business, we have a constant turnovers of tenants.  When you're running a business like the one I work for, it's important to have as much information about our tenant's businesses as possible.  Well, voila, all of a sudden we have a new tenant moving in this morning that no one fucking told me about that I'm going to be answering phones for, but I have no fucking clue what they do or who they are.  To me, the lack of communication between my boss and me of this pertinent information is extremely unprofessional and it's going to make me look incompetent.  Which I HATE.  I'm also not in the mood to have to answer inane questions from the people moving in about the building and how things work that my boss has deemed below her or whatever to have to explain to these people.  Guaranteed they haven't been given a fax or copy code, which is something I'll be asked to do and it will be in a tone of voice that indicates, "Why haven't you done that yet?" when it wasn't something that I was asked to do in the first place.

We also have tenants whose tenancy is in limbo - they're not here anymore or not paying bills or whatever, but I'm still having to answer phones for them when I have no fucking clue whether or not we're still supposed to be providing services that aren't being paid for anymore.  I've just been letting those calls go to voicemail.  They're not paying for them to be answered anymore, so why should I do that?

On a positive note, I was told on Monday that when I am at the desk, there's a whole different air to the office - in a good way.  I feel a little bit of deja vu there, like I've been told that before, but it was a husband of one of our tenants who was meeting his wife for lunch.  I already knew that because of the amounts of complaints I get about Anna, but it was still nice to hear.

Something that occurred to me while I was driving home from school yesterday is how many strikes I feel I have against me.  I feel like I do everything I can to make something happen, I go out of my way, make phone calls, talk to people, whatever, but I feel like no matter what I do, there's something that is 100% out of my power to control that will prevent me from getting what I want.  Often it's people in positions of power who are too lazy or jaded to want to help someone like me, more often than not it's my health problems (as I'm seeing in the case of wanting to work in Federal law enforcement jobs or government jobs), and I find it to be incredibly unfair and disheartening.  It makes me not even want to try anymore.

God damn.  I am a little worried I am going to totally lose my shit on someone today because of my level of irritation over the tiniest things.  I went into the kitchen just now to fill up the watering can (which my boss has reminded me for the 9,000th time that I need to water the damn flowers out front every single day)and one of our most annoying tenants (I think I find her annoying because she's crazy awkward and a terrible communicator - in that she is like Anna - she has no idea how to properly convey an idea to someone without making them feel about 2 inches tall) was in there with a big stack of dishes she was washing in the sink from a book launch party she held last night.  Wash them after hours when she wouldn't be in everyone's way?  Why, no!  To think of such a thing - to be considerate of others?!?  Inconceivable.

See?  It's like I almost want to get fired.

No comments:

Post a Comment