Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sick Day

Oh I hate being sick.  I hate it.  I woke up this morning and every part of my body hurt.  When I get a fever, my hips hurt as though I have arthritis (which I'm pretty sure I have, but it's minor).  They've been killing me all day.  My skin hurts.  My chest hurts and coughing makes it so much worse.  I was telling my mom today that my kidneys hurt.  I have a sore throat and I'm a little congested.  YUCK.

I am fairly certain that my immune system is being very strongly tested by living with kids.  I've been living with kids for the past three months at least, and I'm averaging one significant illness a month.  I guess my body just isn't adapting well to the onslaught of germs that children carry around.

I got a few extra hours of sleep today, and because I feel so crappy, I've taken tomorrow off.  It's a big deal for me to be taking tomorrow off because it will have been my first sick day in 10 weeks of work.  That might be a record for me.  I don't even want to take tomorrow off because I need the money, but I also don't want to go in and be coughing all over everyone and everything.  I CANNOT STAND when other people go out in public and cough and sneeze all over the place, so I do my best to not be that guy.  Also, I need to get better because I am working at the desk all 5 days next week and I cannot take a day off.

I'm feeling really confident about the level of reliability I'm presenting to my boss.  I want her to be able to rely on me, and I feel that she can, and I think she feels that she can.  She complimented me yesterday because I didn't freak out when the Boulder Fire Department showed up after a pipe burst that set off the fire alarm in the building.  No one came up to tell me what was going on, but I didn't make a big deal out of it.  I figured that if there was something I needed to know, they'd tell me.  If it was a real emergency, I'd be made aware of it.  So I feel guilty about having taken tomorrow off, but I think it's necessary.  And that's what makes the difference.  It has nothing to do with not being able to get out of bed.  It's that I should really stay in bed.

I had to get up and do a little grocery shopping today, both for me and for Phoenix, and I'm really glad I got it taken care of.  I thought about putting it off, but I have a lot of trouble justifying that on a day off, regardless of whether or not I am sick.  I also went to go look at a possible new dwelling.

I'd really been planning on living in Boulder.  I want to be close to work and school.  However, I saw this place advertised on craigslist, and I replied.  The girl who had put the ad up seemed a lot like me - eloquent, dorky, and smart.  So I went to meet the girl and her roommate this evening.  The house is really nice, way nicer than any other place I've ever lived with the exception of my parents house.  I'll have a room that's comparable to my room at my parents house.  It has vaulted ceilings, a finished basement, it's clean and decorated, and it has two dogs for Phoenix to play with.  They're both girls, one of which is very mischievous, and the other is a bit high-strung.  It's in Lafayette, which is close to Boulder, and I won't have to take the main highway to work in the morning so I think I'll be cutting off a decent amount of time from my commute.  I'm nervous, though.  I want to move to a place where I want to live for a long time.  I want to be able to make a home somewhere, and receive my mail there, and have it be the place where I live.  I'm not sure I can make this place my new home.

The girls are very nice.  They are both professionals, and they both seem responsible but able to have fun.  I don't want to poison my mind with inept opinions about either of them just based on my first impression, but one of the girls seems a little bit stuck-up.  I'm hoping that it is just because of the awkwardness of the first meeting.  However, they both seemed to like me a lot and have invited me to take the room.  I was a little worried about not being able to make the payments for the room right away, but I keep forgetting that I'll be getting a tax return that I can put towards this new living situation.

I'm apprehensive, let's leave it at that.  I'm hopeful, and I'm trying to be optimistic, but I'm just not sure.  All I can do is give it a try, right?  It will either be catastrophic, wonderful, or anything in between.

Oh I must go to bed now.  I feel HORRIBLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment