Friday, May 27, 2011

Long, Long, Long, Long Day

Wow.  What a long day.  I just got home.  I somehow managed to make it through the work day.  I'm amazed.  It definitely crawled by, but not as slowly as yesterday.

First order of business: Writer Guy is officially Boyfriend. We'll see how this goes.  So far, it's pretty great.  Also, I have Monday off.  No work.  No school.  Plan: sleep in.  Relax.  Have some delicious food and outside bonding time with new Boyfriend and also Roomies.  Normally, I go out of my way not to have weekend plans just because I'm trying to recover from the work week, but I feel like I should try and do something this weekend to get the most out of my free time before school starts and I'm crazy busy for two solid months.

So, tomorrow is my little sister's birthday.  She told the kiddos they could come to her party (read: the family singing happy birthday and eating cake together), but she said that before she knew they'd be going back to their dad early tomorrow (normally it's 5pm but they're going around 11am tomorrow) since their mom is working.  In order to accommodate, we are having a morning "party," which means cake for breakfast.

Phoenix stayed with my mom last night and all day today, so I went straight over there after work today.  I received my refund check from the insurance company today, so I deposited that (leaving me only -$7 in the bank instead of -$143) and then went back to the house.  We had pizza for dinner and then my little sister and I ran to Sally Beauty Supply to get some hair dye for her.  She wants a drastic hair change, so the plan is that I am sort of bleaching her hair tomorrow and then chunking a dark red into it.  When we got back, I had to get started on the cake.  Baby S was being kind of a pill and wanting to cling to my mom, so I kept her with me while I made the cake and she was enraptured.  So cute.  I baked the cake while the boys watched Fraggle Rock (win!) and they finally went to bed and I let the cake cool before icing it.  I changed the recipe a little bit, to see what would happen and it worked really well.  I added some vanilla pudding to the mix for moisture, extra flour for high altitude and extra milk to compensate for the pudding.  It should taste great.  It's the same cake I made for Easter, with the same icing recipe.  Unfortunately, once I've iced the entire cake and leveled the top and evened out the sides, there isn't a whole lot of icing left, so I can't be as creative in decorating it.  This one looks pretty, though.  Simple.  If I remember, I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Anyway, I finished icing it just after my mom came home from picking my dad up at the airport (San Francisco this week - and he told me about staying in Chinatown and having the best Chinese food he's ever had, and my mouth is still watering.  I want moo-shoo pork and fried rice and eggrolls and crab-cheese wontons so badly).  And I just got back home.  I'm pretty exhausted.

Tomorrow will be good, and I'm excited for the rest of the weekend.  I'm taking Boyfriend and Phoenix to the dog park.  We're going to try to watch a few movies.  He's having dinner with my family tomorrow night.  We might try to check out the Boulder Creek Festival either tomorrow or Sunday.  I need to do my sister's hair and clean out my car, and do some chores around the house before we have people over on Monday.  I don't particularly like having lots of plans on weekends, because I like to leave them free to sleep, but none of my plans are really solid this weekend so I can still move them around to make room for naps if need be.  But starting tomorrow afternoon, I will be spending just about every moment with Boyfriend.  Should be interesting and fun!  I'm very much looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment