Friday, July 8, 2011

The Glorious Brainstorm

MAN was it a long and slow day today.  I watched three movies at work!  Killers, Despicable Me and The Sorcerer's Apprentice.  That's about all I really accomplished today.

After work, I picked up Phoenix and went to my parents house.  I was able to sit outside and talk with them for a little while before it started raining.  And then it didn't stop raining.  It poured and poured and poured, sheets of rain.  Hail.  It rained and rained.  And thundered nonstop.  For what seemed like a long, long time.  It was probably only like 30 - 45 minutes.  After standing outside and watching it with my nephews and sister and niece and parents, and all three dogs, Phoenix and I left.  By the time we left, the creek behind my parents house was majorly overflowing.  Which we didn't think would happen after they redid it last fall.  But it did!!  So I had to drive through it on my way home, and it was awesome!!  There was a car that had flooded and drifted into the middle of the street and cars were driving around it.  Two cars in front of me turned around to try to go another way.  I was like, "Wusses!" and plowed on through.  My car almost flooded a couple times, but I gunned it.  By the time I got through it, though, there was a car literally ON my ass, and was trying to drive around me.  I couldn't figure out what was going on, until I tried braking and my brakes wouldn't work as well as they normally would and I figured out that they were wet and so I assumed that was the car's problem.  I tried to call my parents and tell them how awesome it was because they were worried about me getting through that spot, but my phone must have gotten wet because I suddenly couldn't hear from the ear-part.

We got home and it had just rained in Lafayette.  Not nearly like in Westminster.  So I feel pretty lucky to have witnessed the storm, because it was glorious and it almost never rains like that here.

I have been thinking really seriously about OCS today.  It's an option I've laid out on my table of choices for after I graduate, and it's sounding more and more plausible and useful, especially since I found out today that all the government-funded law enforcement agencies I want to apply for are all on a hiring freeze because there's no fucking money right now (thanks, Obama).  So some time with the Navy as an officer would give me some practical experience under my belt and a steady paycheck and an opportunity to do something different for awhile, and it will help me pay for grad school should I choose that path later on.  It just terrifies me - the thought of being in the military.  I'm not great at a super-structured lifestyle, although I've been doing extraordinarily well since late November.  I just worry that I will have a break-down at some point and really fuck up my future.  So I plan to find a recruiter and talk to them and get some information.  I need to take the GRE (for grad school) and the ASVAB to qualify for OCS, but I don't see that being a problem.  People much dumber than me have become high-ranking officers in the military.  I'm having some trouble seeing a practical and rational reason NOT to go forward with OCS, although today is just another day, and just a few days ago I was dead set on the Peace Corps.

I guess I need to spend some more time thinking things through.  I am hoping to talk to Bestie's dad at her wedding since he was the one who helped me get my Navy ROTC scholarship in high school.  Hopefully he'll have some good info for me, and I know he'll get all excited about me wanting to do the Navy thing, so he'll try to talk me into it, but I need to just get as much information as I can right now so that I can make an informed decision when I decide to make a decision.

Okay.  My hands are shaking for some reason and I need to lie down   I made myself a drink of pink lemonade, vodka and sprite and it is phenomenal.  The sun is going down, the air is cool and quiet and it's Friday night.  What else could be better?

No comments:

Post a Comment