Tuesday, July 12, 2011

I Hate Tuesdays, Tuesdays Smell Like Fish!

I simply must take a moment to vent about my disdain for my boss.  Let me qualify what I want to say with a few positive things first: she's a perfectly nice lady.  She's generous.  She's friendly and has excellent people skills.  The day when she had to discipline me because a tenant had complained about me, she was really nice and broke it to me gently.  I've had many a good conversation with her, and overall, I have a pretty positive opinion of her.  But man, she has NO LIFE.  When she talks to me, she tells me things about her life that I could care less about.  The last two days, all she has talked about is the rain.  "We're getting so much rain," "I hope I make it back before it rains," "Looks like the rain is coming in," like the weather we've been having is the most exciting thing in her life!  I hope to GOD that I have more interesting things to talk to people about when I get older.  I also sincerely hope that I will not be in property management.  She stands here and talks to me at the desk for ten or twenty minutes at a time some days, about NOTHING.  I am really starting to both get good at feigning interest, and having a hard time continuing to feign interest in what she is saying.  I have interesting conversations with other people, but she is one of the people I just can't stand talking to.  I can hear when she comes into the building (because she parks out back and uses the back door to come in), and when she comes up the stairs, I just dread having to sit and hold a conversation with her.  She has the most boring life.  And she has a shopping problem.  She's always telling me what she bought on her most recent shopping trip (read: the day before), and how she got such a great deal on it, and blah, blah, blah!  She obviously has money to spend, and I have a hard time talking with her about that stuff because I can't imagine having money to spend on such trivial items since I spend my money on things I have need for.  I can't imagine the last time I went shopping just because I had money to spend.  On whatever.  I think she's lonely, and I think she sort of thinks of me as a daughter-type person because I'm the same age as her daughter, who is in Portland, Oregon right now, so she's extra nice to me.  But boy some days I just can't take listening to her!  And she's kind of a snob, too.  She's always complaining to me about the decisions other people are making.  And I'm a pretty judgmental bitch most of the time, but she's so much worse.  I have to pretend I understand and sympathize with what she's talking about usually.  Ugh.  It's wearing on me, being ingenuine with her.

I am in a much better mood today.  I slept really, really well - I don't remember waking up a whole bunch of times to turn over in bed or readjust or cover Phoenix with the blanket.  I am a little congested, though, which annoys me because there's pretty much nothing worse than being sick during the summer.  I am pretty tired of having to blow my nose every five minutes.  I think my dreams must have been really pleasant last night because I keep getting flashes of feelings of contentedness or tranquility or happiness, although I don't remember specifics of my dreams from last night.  I think there was a hotel and an elevator.  When I try to remember what my dreams from last night, I again just feel happy and content.  I like that.  It doesn't happen that way very often.

I started my diet thing today.  I've had some difficult moments, but I'm pretty used to not eating and snacking at work, so it hasn't been too bad.  I am excited for dinner, though.  My dad picked up Phoenix today and so I am going straight to their house after work and he's cooking one of his specialties - beer-can chicken.  It's a whole grilled chicken, cooked standing upright on a stand that holds a can of beer.  The beer marinates and permeates the meat as it heats up and it's moist and delicious.  Tonight he's making it spicy, and I love spicy food.  I'm probably going to have some trouble keeping my portions down, but I'm not going to be overzealous about it.  I plan to eat until I'm full, and that is usually around 600 calories, I'd guess.  I called my dad earlier to tell him I was coming over for dinner, and he told me that he picked up Phoenix, but then had to leave the house, and when he came home, Phoenix was sitting in the front yard.  I don't know how long my dad was gone, but this is not the first time Phoenix has left the house and been back home before the humans returned.  My dad thinks he probably opened the gate because it wasn't latched and tried to find someone to hang out with.  He may have gone on a bit of an adventure, sniffing the neighbors lawns and whatnot, but he came back.  He's smart like that.  And there's just enough separation anxiety still in him that he wants to be with me or my parents if at all possible, so he'll never go too far.  I sure do love him a lot!  And it's been awhile since he's done something silly like that.  I wonder what was going through his mind...

Tomorrow is no work.  I can't decide whether to sleep in and watch the US Women's soccer team play France while I'm still in bed, or if I should get up early - super early, like 5 or 6am early - go for a run while there's no one out and then come home and watch the game and nap later.  I'm thinking the latter, but when it's early in the morning and I try to wake up but don't HAVE to be up, I have a lot of trouble motivating myself to get up anyway.  Unless I just wake up on my own, without an alarm.  Then it's much easier to get up and do stuff.  So, we'll see.  I'm not going to stress over it.  I'll find a time to do some running tomorrow, whether it's in the evening rain or the afternoon heat. 

I've been super bored at work today.  I watched The American President, which is a great movie, and I've read more of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (yup, still on book one and the 2nd part of Deathly Hallows comes out on Friday, oh well), and just screwed around on the internet most of the day.  But it's almost time to go home, and it's raining again.  I may just read for the next half hour if I can.  I'm overall feeling pretty relaxed today, aside from the annoyance I'm feeling towards my boss.  Also, my makeup and hair look pretty good today even though I feel like a slob.  So that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment