Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Day After

Holy God.  Yesterday SUCKED.  I woke up from a bunch of crazy, vivid dreams, one in which my sister killed her boys, and then killed our dad.  I think that when I woke up, the sorrow and despair I felt in that dream kind of just stayed with me because I just felt so sad.

All I had to do yesterday was show apartments.  I did that, but at one of the apartments there was a TV sitting in the lobby area, with a sign that said "Free to a good home."  It'd been there for at least a week, if not longer, and I looked at it and decided it was at least as big as the one I have, and definitely bigger than the one Meredi has downstairs, so I decided I would grab it.  I bent down to pick it up and SNAP.  Something in my back just gave way.  It took my breath away, and I though for a split second that I would scream for the amount of pain I was in.  I managed to sit down and breathe and try to relax, and then I even managed to move the damn TV out to my car.  I even finished out the showings!  I was in excruciating pain and my back was spasming like crazy so I did the best I could at just moving really slowly and staying as relaxed as possible.  My plan was to just go home and lie around for the rest of the day with some ice and ibuprofen.  I knew it wasn't a serious injury, and I know that people injure themselves trying to lift something heavy all the damn time, so I wasn't worried about myself.  I was, however, worried that I might get in trouble for attempting to lift something heavy while I was working, so when I dropped off the keys back at the office, I told Anna that I had slipped down some stairs while posting the showing schedules for the next week.  She's actually a chiropractor, although not licensed in Colorado, and so I asked her what her opinion was for what I should do, to which she replied ice and ibuprofen.  I left, thinking I'd just go home and do nothing, but she called me while I was still in the car and told me that since I was hurt on the job that I needed to go be seen and that it was covered under our worker's compensation insurance.  I really didn't want to, especially because I didn't think it was serious and I really just wanted to go home.  But Anna insisted that since it happened while I was working, if it wasn't checked out and it became serious the company could get into trouble.  Luckily the place that she sent me to is mere blocks from my house, so I went.  The pain subsided a little bit, and the people there were really nice.  The doctor I saw told me it was just a strain (although I don't feel particularly confident in her doctoring skills as all she had me do was bend over and check my reflexes), and gave me a shot of toradol which is a super-maximum strength anti-inflammatory.  She also gave me a prescription for percocet and told me I can't work again until I've been checked out again.  I argued that one with her since all I do is sit on my ass all day, but she said absolutely not.  So I have to go back on Monday, but I also am not going to work on Monday.

So I went back to my house to grab Phoenix and went to my parents house.  I needed to get my prescription filled at the Target by their house anyway, so I decided to just take it easy over there, where I could be waited on if necessary instead of staying at my house where I'd have to get everything myself and walk up and down the stair 99 times.  By the time I'd gotten the prescription filled, the pain in my back was searing, so I took a percocet as soon as I walked back into the house.  It worked pretty quickly, and I am well aware of how my stomach reacts to narcotics, so I ate immediately.  However, that did not stop me from getting extremely nauseated, and by the time my mom get back from picking up my dad from the airport, I was full on sick.  She drove me home since I was pretty sure I wouldn't make it home myself driving because I'd have to stop several times to puke, and I made it all the way back to Lafayette, but I puked in my driveway.

I cleaned it up, and washed my face and got myself a whole lot of ice water and got into bed, but the nausea continued and I had to get up and puke twice more before I was able to go to sleep.  The last time I even had to run all the way downstairs to use Meredi's bathroom since Linda was in mine.  Ugh.  I was SO miserable.

When I woke up today I was feeling much better, albeit a little sore and stiff.  I should probably have tried to take it super easy today, but for some reason I didn't feel like I could rest until I'd gotten at least one load of laundry started.  So I cleaned up my closet area and sorted through my enormous pile of clothes and put in a load of laundry.  I slept for awhile after that, and had my parents come and get me for dinner this afternoon.

So here we are.  I'm still sore and stiff, but not in excruciating pain anymore, and not sick to my stomach anymore.  I have been having an onslaught of different emotions in the last few days and I haven't properly gotten to write about them yet, but I really want to just get ready for bed and veg for the rest of the night.

Hopefully I will have the energy to write tomorrow, but I'm not going to try to force myself to do anything that will piss me off.  Right now my mood is neutral and I'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment